This Workflow Summary details how to transform the coordinate system for an InfoSWMM Model. This technique also applies to InfoWater and InfoSewer models. Both the coordinate system name and the geometry of features (i.e. x and y values) will be updated. Before you begin, please make sure that the InfoSWMM model is closed.
1. Open ArcCatalog and navigate to the InfoSWMM model’s ISDB\Map folder.
2. Rename Map.mdb to Map_old.mdb, and create a blank geodatabase named Map.mdb.
3. Click the button of ArcToolbox Window in ArcCatalog, the ArcToolbox window opens up.
4. Navigate the ArcToolbox window to ArcToolbox->Data Management Tools->Projections and Transformations->Feature->Project.
5. Double click the tool of Project, and the dialog of Project opens up.
6. Click the button of Browse on the top right, navigate to the location where the existing geodatabase (Map_old.mdb) is located, double click the icon of Map_old.mdb, select the dataset of Network, and click the button of Add. The top three text boxes are automatically populated. Note that the tool will transform coordinate system for all feature classes under the dataset of Network.
7. Change a portion of the string in the third text box of Output Dataset from “Map_old.mdb\Network_Project” to “Map.mdb\Network”. The dataset of Network and its feature classes will be automatically created in the blank geodatabase (Map.mdb) when transforming coordinate system.
8. Click the button next to the textbox of Output Coordinate System, and specify the desired coordinate system by choosing or customizing either a geographic coordinate system or projected coordinate system. For example, NAD_1983_StatePlane_Pennsylvania_North_FIPS_3701_Feet is chosen here. Click OK to exit the dialog of Spatial Reference Properties.
9. Click on the textbox of Geographic Transformation (optional), a dropdown list appears. Choose NAD_1983_To_WGS_1984_5, which is valid for the contiguous United States, and populated to the bottom textbox.
10. Click “OK,” the tool will transform coordinate system on background for all feature classes within the dataset of Network. If the execution is successful, the new dataset of Network will be created in the blank geodatabase; otherwise, the tool will provide error messages for further checking.
11. Once the feature classes with the desired coordinate system are successfully generated, exit out of ArcCatalog, and open the InfoSWMM model.
12. Right click the data frame of Layers in ArcMap, click on Properties to open up the dialog of Data Frame Properties. Specify the desired coordinate system in the tab of Coordinate System. Click Yes to confirm to use the chosen coordinate system.
13. Initialize the InfoSWMM model.
14. Navigate to InfoSWMM’s menu item of Update DB from Map (InfoSWMM->Utilities->Update DB from Map) to update geometry for all nodes, links, and subcatchments in the modeling database.
15. Verify the location, length, or area of features in the InfoSWMM model with other data sources like base map. If all features are aligned well, save the InfoSWMM project.