InfoWorks ICM and InfoNet were designed to allow for multi-user access and editing within a “workgroup” structure. When a database resides anywhere other than a user’s local machine, it should be set up as a workgroup database rather than a standalone database. Keeping a standalone database on a network drive (or server) leaves the database susceptible to database errors and corruption that can be frustrating, time consuming to resolve, and even fatal to the database. It should also be noted that standalone databases kept on network drives are unsupported by Innovyze, so we are limited in what we can do to resolve errors/corruption that occurs on a standalone database kept on a network drive.
Therefore, it is strongly advised that if you have a standalone database on a network drive, you convert it to a workgroup database as soon as possible.
To do this:
1. Install the Workgroup Data Server (WDS) on the machine that will be hosting the database. This is a service, not an application. You can download the relevant version of the WDS from our website: www.innovyze.com/updates or by emailing email@example.com with your InfoWorks/InfoNet version number.
2. If you wish to keep your workgroup database(s) in a location other than the default location on the C drive, then you will need to create a snumbat.ini text file to specify the preferred location. Check out this document for more detailed information on this (This is the Workgroup Data Server Administration Guide): http://innovyze.com/updates/documents/WorkgroupDataServerAdministration2015May.pdf
3. If you do implement an snumbat.ini file, then restart the Innovyze Workgroup Data Server service
4. Now, on the user machine where ICM/InfoNet is installed (note that the Workgroup Client version and the WDS versions must match in order for them to “see” each other), open ICM/InfoNet, go to File>Open>Open/Create Master database
5. Choose the Workgroup option and specify the computer name where the WDS is installed. Click ‘Connect’
6. Once the Connection has been established, you can click ‘New’ to create a new, blank, master database.
7. Now, you can go to File>Open to open ‘another master database’ or a transportable database to copy data into the new master database