By default the GeoPlan displays all objects, which can lead to a visually busy display. Displaying all objects also incurs a performance cost, the graphics card processor having to render all objects. Consider the following section of a network displaying some incidents (customer complaints) with the date opened labelled, which range from 2010 unto 2015.
It is possible to create a theme on the year that the incident happened, but will require an SQL theme to only look at the year part of the date. The following steps outline the methodology.
1. Bring up the GeoPlan Property and Themes dialog box and click on the Theme Column, Edit button so as to create a new Theme.
2. Create a new Theme to overlay the ‘Base Theme’.
3. Name the new theme (Date Opened) and make it an SQL theme by clicking on the SQL button.
4. Create the SQL Expression required, in this case to theme according to the customer complaints year.
5. Using an Individual Range the software picks out the individual years that the incidents happened in.
6. The Network now reflects the Theme.
7. Editing the theme to only display the latest customer complaints. This can be achieved by using by using Visibility tick box in the theme and then setting the visibility bar to zero.
8. The network now display only the latest customer complaints.